This recipe was going to be a banana bread and then I went to get my pan and realized I didn’t actually have one. And if you really know me, then you would know this is shocking since I have an obsession for all things kitchen gadgets and products. So I decided to turn them into jumbo muffins instead and wasn’t disappointed by that decision.
The date sugar is a great sugar alternative to your baking and can be replaced as a 1:1 ratio. The benefits of date sugar over regular sugar is that it is low glycemic and low in calories. Its also great for helping to balance blood sugar (to curb those cravings). Dates are also rich in minerals and vitamins like iron and zinc and vitamins A, C, E to name a few.
LIVA date sugar is now available on Amazon and can be purchased at Sobey’s, Noah’s, Nature’s Emporium and most large retailers.
I would highly recommend adding into your baking routine. They taste great slathered in nut butter or vegan butter when they are right out of the oven. Try the recipe out and let me know your thoughts!
- 2 ½ cups of oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup date sugar
- 4 bananas (very ripe!)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
*Makes 6 large muffins. I have not tried this recipe as a bread but I am fairly confident that it would work just as well 😉
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and date sugar. Stir in the mashed bananas, vanilla, coconut oil, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Stir in the flour mixture, a third at a time, until combined
- Pour batter into a lightly greased large muffin pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow them to cool